Even though I am challenged to pronounce this, it is an event sponsored by the Waupaca Chamber of Commerce and a host of passionate volunteers, I wanted to post this event. The snow today is a hopeful sign of all the wonderful winter activities that Waupaca County is known for, come on out and experience Waupaca county!
Shadow Lake at Lower South Park – 5 blocks south of Downtown Waupaca (921 S. Main Street, Waupaca)
Parking available in either the upper or lower parking lots.
Sponsored by: Element Mobile General Beer RE/MAX – Shambeau & Lyons Real Estate First National Bank Orthopedic & Spine Therapy Waupaca Realty
Schedule of Events for January 27th & 28th
Friday beginning at 4:00pm
- Join in the Clearing of the Ice to prepare the Wintervergnügen grounds. Bring your shovel to help clear pathways and rinks and enjoy FREE chili and hot chocolate. Chili donated by Klismet’s Three Squares Restaurant of Waupaca.
- Participate in the Snowman Building Competition – registration available in advance or near the Lower South Park shelter building beginning at 4pm. Top three castles will win a Waupaca Area Chamber Gift Certificates; 1st – $40, 2nd – $15, 3rd – $5. $5 entry fee per team. Pre-registration available by contacting the Waupaca Area Chamber of Commerce. Click here for rules and guidlines. Sponsored by First National Bank.
- Register for Saturday events including the Kids Ice Fishing Derby and the Snow Castle Building Competition from 4-6pm.
- Open Skating once the rink is cleared until 7pm.
Saturday beginning at 10:00am
- Ice Sculpting Demonstrations by Fox Valley Technical College Culinary Arts Students from 10am to 3pm.
- Ice Bowling – See if you can get the highest score of the weekend! FREE event with no advanced registration required. In cooperation with the Waupaca High School Bowling Club. Sponsored by Orthopedic & Spine Therapy.
- Broom Ball Tournament – Gather a team of eight people and participate in this double elimination tournament. $10 registration fee per team. Tournament will begin at 10:00am. To register e-mail the completed registration form to email@example.com or call 715-258-7343. Registration deadline – Monday, 1/23/12 at 5pm. Click here for tournament rules and regulations. Sponsored by RE/MAX – Shambeau & Lyons Real Estate. Team and individual trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place teams; donated by New Direction Embroidery & Engraving of Waupaca.
- Open Skating – 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Boot Hockey – Bring your stick and participate in a friendly pick-up game throughout the day.
- Kid’s Ice Fishing Derby – Bring the kids out for ice fishing on Shadow Lake. Registration available from 10:00am until noon for children 12 years and younger. Prizes for all participants as well as trophies for the biggest bluegill and biggest northern. Pre-registration available by contacting the Waupaca Area Chamber of Commerce. Trophies donated by New Direction Embroidery & Engraving of Waupaca.
- Snow Castle Building Competition – Get a group of family or friends together and build your best snow castle on the ice. Registration at 10:00am and judging begins at 3:00pm. Top three castles will win a Waupaca Area Chamber Gift Certificates; 1st – $50, 2nd – $25, 3rd – $10. $10 registration fee per team. Pre-registration available by contacting the Waupaca Area Chamber of Commerce. Click here for contest rules and guidelines.
- Snowshoe Races – Grab a partner and join in the fun of snowshoe race relays! Sign up for either the competitive division or the family fun division. Snowshoes will be provided for all participants. Same day registration available beginning at 10:00am with competitive division races at 11:00am and family fun races at noon. Registration will benefit the Waupaca Area Food Pantry. Bring a minimum of 5 can goods or $5.00 per team to participate. Advanced registration encouraged, click here for a registration form. Wintervergnügen Snowshoes Races are sponsored and organized by TNT Personal Training and Signature Events by Shelly.
- Food & Beer Tent – Service from 11:00am until 6:00pm. Several seasonal microbrews available. Sponsored in part by General Beer. Culver’s of Waupaca will have roast beef sandwiches, chili, hot chocolate and coffee available for purchase.
- Firework Demonstration at Dusk – Firework training demonstration will be viewable from the Wintervergnügen grounds. Exciting 10-15 minute show over Shadow Lake! Please park in South Park lots and exit vehicles to view the show. Viewing prohibited from Lakeside Parkway. Estimated show start time of 5:30pm.
- Other Area Activities – Candlelight Ski & Hike at Hartmann Creek State Park. January 28th from 5pm – 8pm. Skiers and hikers can enjoy illuminated trails, a campfire, treats, hot cocoa and apple cider. Both the ski and the hike will begin at the Hartman Lake Shelter building. The hike is about 1 mile round-trip and the ski is about 2.5 miles round-trip. Guest can attend the event any time between 5pm and 8pm. A hot grill will be available for use. Dress warm and bring your own skies, snowshoes or boots. Park vehicle admission sticker will be required. The event may be canceled due to inclement weather. Contact the park office at 715-258-2372. – Shopping at over 40 unique retailers in Downtown Waupaca, King and in Between! – Men’s Bonspeil at the Waupaca Curling Club – On Sunday, the First Annual Mid-Winter Extravaganza at the Wisconsin Veterans Home at King – Campus Tours, The Justmann Band, kid’s entertainmnet, food and hot chocolate.
- <iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/W1o6tD3Or58” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>